Today is Equal Pay Day, and the pay gap contributes to sexual violence more than you’d think! Here are just a few ways:
- Unequal pay forces women to be dependent on their abusive partner, making it even harder to leave
- Women who are paid less than their male coworkers are less likely to report sexual harassment in the workplace
- Unequal pay increases the likelihood of a woman being sexually exploited or trafficked in order to survive
- Unequal pay sustains the ideology that men are superior and women are inferior, in turn, creating the expectation that women are supposed to submit to sexual acts
- Unequal pay continues a culture of victim-blaming as women are blamed for the pay gap (“if you choose to be a mother, you will be paid less”)
- Adding other intersectionalities like race/ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, etc. will exaggerate everything listed above even more and in different ways.
Enough is enough. It is time to close the gap and pay all people what they deserve. 💵