The St. Cloud Hospital, Buffalo Hospital, CentraCare Health-Monticello, Fairview-Northland-Princeton, Albany Area Hospital, CentraCare Health-Melrose, CentraCare Health-Sauk Centre, and CentraCare Health-Paynesville are committed to providing comprehensive care to victims of rape, sexual assault, and other sex crimes.
These Hospital Emergency Trauma Center’s follow a comprehensive Sexual Assault Community Care program, which is a partnership between the Central MN Sexual Assault Center (CMSAC) and the local hospitals.
These programs are staffed 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week by nurses, physician assistants, and doctors who provide medical forensic evidence collection services. Sexual Assault Evidence Collection exams are available to victims within 120 hours of an incident. If the sexual assault occurred more than five days ago, it is still important for a victim to have follow-up medical care. There are resources listed below for obtaining that care at local clinics for free or at reduced cost.
Federal legislation mandates that, regardless of whether or not a victim chooses to make a report to law enforcement, s/he has a right to seek a forensic medical examination following a sexual assault at a local hospital free of charge. In Minnesota, the county in which the sexual assault occurred is responsible for covering these costs. This does not cover the cost of treatment. However, CMSAC is available to assist a sexual assault victim in applying for Minnesota Crime Victims Reparations funding. If you choose to go to your local hospital to be seen after a sexual assault, you can request that an advocate be present to help you understand your options and to support you.
The following local hospitals are in CMSAC’s four-county service area and are required to treat victims of sexual assault:
- St. Cloud Hospital: 320-255-5656
- Buffalo Hospital: 763-682-1212
- CentraCare Health-Monticello: 763-295-2945
- Fairview-Northland-Princeton: 763-389-1313
- Albany Area Hospital: 320-845-2121
- CentraCare Health-Melrose: 320-256-4231
- CentraCare Health-Sauk Centre: 320-352-2221
- CentraCare Health-Paynesville: 320-243-3767
The hospitals listed above also provide the following services for sexual assault:
- Evidence kit collection by nurses, physician assistants, and/or doctors for incidences of sexual assault
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) testing/screening and prophylactic treatment for STIs/HIV and pregnancy
- Support services by victim advocates from CMSAC: 320-251-4357
- Referrals to counseling, emergency funds, and crime victim compensation/reparations
- Follow-up care and referrals at CMSAC – 15 Riverside Drive NE, St. Cloud, MN 56304.
Other Medical Resources in Central Minnesota
Planned Parenthood: 320-252-9504 – 451 East St. Germain Street, St. Cloud, MN 56304. Provides emergency contraception and medical follow-up on a sliding fee scale.
St. Cloud State University Women’s Center: 320-308-4958 – File campus sexual assault complaints, provides information and referral, support counseling, support groups, and advocacy including legal and law enforcement support.
Student Health Services: If you are a university or college student, your school may have its own health services which provide health care at a lower cost to students.
If you have questions about reporting to law enforcement, please see the ‘Reporting to Law Enforcement’ tab.